Insurance to cover your deductible

For those of you who live in a stratified home (condo or townhouse), or plan to in the future, have a quick read as this little bit of information might save you a headache.

As you may have guessed, when you buy into a townhouse complex or condominium the building/strata has their own insurance policy to cover the building in the event of fire/flood, etc. The majority of people will have their contents insured so they can have peace of mind knowing if their home were to burn down for example both their structure and contents/personal belongings inside will be insured.  

The type of insurance that many people don't know about or realize they should have in place is insurance to cover the building deductible.  Your insurance policy for the building will tell you what amount you should have covered in your own personal insurance policy.  A common deductible amount for flood, as an example, is somewhere around $10,000 - $15,000.  

So let's say you take off on holidays for a week and you live in a high rise.  You have a busy life and didn't realize the hose to your washer was getting old.  It springs a leak and the 10 floors below you flooded before someone gets into your unit to shut the water off.  Strata decides you were neglectful and should have had the hose replaced a long time ago and finds you responsible to pay the buildings insurance deductible which is $15,000.  If you have insurance to cover the deductible, it's all good.  If you don't... hopefully you have a silver tongue and can talk your way out of it, otherwise they're going to want that $15,000!!  Alas, the moral of the story: get insurance to cover your building deductible.  It's usually around $15/mo and well worth it.

If you have any questions about this information, just give me a call - I'd be glad to discuss the topic.

Thank you for reading and for your business, I really do appreciate it!! 


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.